Staff Development Units (SDU) are designed as incentives to promote faculty development toward work-related improvements. They may be awarded for course completion, workshop attendance, or related activities designed to facilitate job performance.
Staff Development Units may be earned following these procedures:
- All faculty, employed halftime, or more, may accrue SDU.
- No employee may accrue more than 3 SDU per fiscal year.
- Application and approval for SDU must be made prior to undertaking development activities.
- Application is made by submitting an SDU form to the immediate supervisor and appropriate member of the president's staff.
- Staff Development Units will be approved only for those activities that promote the development of the faculty member's job performance - not for personal growth activities that are unrelated to NPC work responsibilities.
- Staff Development Units are awarded on the basis of 1 SDU per 1 college credit, or 1 SDU per 18 hours of approved activity.
- Total SDU approval for the institution cannot exceed the amount budgeted for those activities during the fiscal year.
- Courses and activities resulting in SDU reimbursement may not also be applied toward incremental salary movements.
- Northland Pioneer College credits may qualify for SDU.
- Staff Development Units may not be awarded if the college provides an alternative form of financial support for the course/activity, such as release time, per diem, tuition reimbursement, conference fee, or a similar type of assistance.
- Each SDU will accrue $125 upon completion of the course/activity. In the case of coursework, a final transcript must be completed. Each SDU completion will result in a one-time stipend.