A sabbatical leave is defined as a one-semester or two-semester (fall and spring only) paid leave to be used by a full-time faculty member for professional development. For a full-time staff member it is defined as a half-year or full-year paid leave based on the length of their annual contract.
A full-time faculty or staff member may be granted a sabbatical leave for advanced study, related industry experience, or other professional activities which are related to their field of teaching or employment, and which will improve their professional competence and performance if:
- The faculty or staff member will have completed six full years of service by the time the sabbatical leave begins.
- The written request is received by the President between December 1st and February 1st of the budget year preceding the budget year for which the sabbatical is to be taken.
- The sabbatical leave recipients are expected to continue their employment with NPC for a minimum of two years service unless waived by the President. If they do not return and have not received a waiver by the President, they will refund the full sabbatical leave amount.
Compensation for the faculty sabbatical leave shall be at the rate of full pay (1/2 academic year's base salary) for one semester, or, half pay (1/2 academic year's base salary) for two semesters. Compensation for the staff sabbatical shall be at the rate of full pay (1/2 annual base salary) for a half year, or, half pay (1/2 annual base salary) for a full year. A detailed proposal and final summation shall be submitted for all sabbatical leaves granted.
Professional development activities, including earned credits, completed during a financially assisted leave (sabbatical) may not be used for lateral moves.
If the recipient receives funds for performance of duties in conjunction with the purpose of the leave from sources other than NPC, the total gross income of the recipient shall not exceed the total gross income that would have been received if the recipient had not taken the sabbatical leave. Any amounts over the total gross may be accepted by the recipient but donated to NPC Friends and Family.
The number of sabbatical leaves granted during any one budget year shall be at the discretion of the President and will be dependent upon the available resources of the college.
To request a sabbatical leave, the full-time faculty or staff member proceeds as follows:
- Submit a written request to the President between December 1st and February 1st of the budget year preceding the year for which the sabbatical is to be taken.
- This request must include:
- Date sabbatical is to start
- Duration of sabbatical
- Activities during sabbatical
- Specific benefit to faculty/staff member
- Specific benefit to the college
- A letter of recommendation from a member of the Executive Team. Other support letters may also be submitted.
- The President will reach a decision by March 30th of the year preceding the budget year for which the leave is requested.
- Upon completion of the sabbatical leave, the individual will submit evidence of the completed activities to the President.