The Facility Key Control procedure is established for the purpose of promoting a secure campus environment and for maintaining a comprehensive system to manage the dissemination of keys throughout the campus and centers. All college facilities will be closed and locked when no business or events are scheduled. All employees are responsible and accountable for the security of buildings, classrooms, contents, and equipment within his/her areas of responsibilities.
- Full-Time and Part-Time Employees - Supervisors will complete a Key Request Form and submit it to the Campus/Center Manager, who will forward the form to the Director of Facilities and Vehicles.
- Contractors/Vendors - Deans or Directors will complete a Key Request Form and submit it to the Campus/Center Manager, who will forward the form to the Director of Facilities and Vehicles. Key(s) may be issued but will be for a limited period.
- The Director of Facilities and Vehicles will review and approve the Key Request Form and issue key(s) to Campus/Center Manager who will distribute the key(s).
- The key holder will sign for the key(s) and will be given a copy of this procedure to ensure they know their responsibilities.
Return of Key
- Full-Time and Part-Time Employees – Key(s) must be returned to the Campus/Center Manager at termination (voluntary or involuntary) or transferring to another department/location. This will also include leave of absence or sabbaticals anticipated to be longer than 180 days. Terminating Employees must complete the Employee Check Out Form.
- Contractors/Vendors – Key(s) must be returned to the Dean or Director when the period expires. The Dean or Director will return the key(s) to the Campus/Center Manager who will forward the key(s) to the Director of Facilities and Vehicles.
Key Holder Responsibilities
- The individual to whom key(s) are issued is personally responsible for the use of said key(s) until they are returned to the Campus/Center Manager.
- Key holders are required to keep the key(s) in their possession and not keep them in desks, cabinets, or unsecure areas.
- Key holders are not allowed to loan or transfer their key(s) to anyone.
- Key holders may enter buildings during closed hours but are responsible for properly locking the building after use.
- Key holders shall not unlock buildings or rooms for others unless the individual has a valid, verifiable reason and proper identification for access or is known by the employee to have legitimate need for access to the room or building. Report suspicious activity to campus or center office immediately.
- If for some reason you cannot lock a door with your key contact the Campus/Center Manager.
Lost or Stolen Key
- Lost or stolen key(s) must be reported immediately to the Campus/Center Manager who will complete an Incident Report and forward a copy to the Director of Facilities and Vehicles.
- Lost or stolen keys can result in significant financial or information exposure to the college. Any loss of keys may result in disciplinary action.
- The Director of Facilities and Vehicles will review the incident and in consultation with the Vice President of Administrative Services determine if any locks must be replaced/rekeyed.
- A new Key Request Form must be completed for issuance of new keys after lost or stolen key(s) are reported.
Replication of Key
- Only the Director of Facilities and Vehicles is authorized to replicate keys.
- Periodically, keys will be inventoried (audited) to enable the Director of Facilities and Vehicles to review and evaluate building access. This will also help verify the accuracy of records and account for all keys.
- Key audits may also be ordered by Administrators (Deans/Directors and above) should the security of an area become compromised.