- In order to conduct the business of the Board in an orderly and effective way, the offices of president and secretary have been instituted. The president will preside as chair of all official board meetings. For informal purposes, the president will be referred to as 'Chair' to avoid confusion with the president of the college. When documents require the signature of the board chair, the title, President of the Board, will be used.
The term of these two offices shall be for a period of one year and shall be filled by a majority vote of the Board at the first meeting in January of each new year. Newly elected officers will assume their duties at that meeting and may serve consecutive terms. Temporary appointments shall be made by a majority vote of the Board when vacancies occur.
- The Board Chairperson (referred to as the Board President in Arizona Statute) is elected by the District Board at its January meeting, to serve for a period of one year. Normally, the Chairperson is the only Board member authorized to speak for the Board publicly and officially. The Chairperson's responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- The Chairperson shall ensure that the Board and its members act in accord with Board policies and consistent with the State of Arizona statutes.
- The Chairperson shall call and preside at Board meetings.
- The Chairperson shall ensure that discussions at Board meetings address matters which are appropriate and relevant to Board governance.
- The Chairperson shall inform Board members of appropriate issues and processes that might affect the Board.
- The Chairperson shall appoint Board members to committees as required.
- The Chairperson is the principal Board member responsible for the Board-President relationship and shall be the primary Board member who interacts and communicates with the College President. However, the Chairperson cannot act without the agreement of the Board in matters such as supervising or directing the College President.
- The Board Secretary is elected by the District Board at its January meeting, to serve for a period of one year. The Secretary is the official custodian of all records of the District.
The Secretary's responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- The Secretary shall maintain a record and the official minutes of all meetings of the Board.
- The Secretary shall ensure that copies of the minutes of the previous meeting of the Board as well as the agenda for the next scheduled meeting of the Board are distributed to all Board members prior to the next scheduled meeting.
- The Secretary may delegate the day-to-day maintenance of the custody of records and assign duties pertaining to the recording of minutes of meetings and the distribution of the meeting agenda to a College employee approved by the President.
NPC summer classes start June 1 and are being offered online through July 24. Registration for FALL classes begins June 1. The FALL 2020 schedule is subject to change as the college works to best serve its students and keep them safe during the COVID-19 Pandemic. All NPC campuses/centers are CLOSED until further notice, but all college offices are still providing services remotely during normal business hours. Find the most up-to-date information at www.npc.edu/covid19. Students should monitor their NPC email daily for current information.