If your goal is to earn a bachelor's degree in the field of Elementary Education then the Associate of Arts in Elementary Education (AAEE) transfer degree from NPC is the smart way to start. You'll complete the same foundational courses you would take in your first two years at a university, but at a tenth of the cost! NPC's AAEE degree is guaranteed to fully transfer to any of Arizona's three public universities, so you'll enter as a junior. Best of all, that's two years of college with no debt!
In 2017, Arizona Governor Doug Ducey called on the three state universities to focus on increasing the output of qualified teachers. In response, all three state universities developed their own respective “Teachers Academy” with a mission to produce more qualified teachers in a way that allows education students to graduate from college with minimal debt. NPC works with all three state universities to ensure easy student transfer and is a community partner in the NAU Teachers Academy. Northern Arizona University has an extended education classroom on NPC’s campus in Show Low.
The AAEE core requirements of 18 credits includes courses in diversity in education, intro to special education, algebra-based math for elementary teachers, managing learning environments, education technology, children's literature and more. This degree will provide you with the fundamental knowledge and competencies that align with both state and national standards to help you move right into your preferred university area of study.
Completion of this two-year associate degree in Elementary Education also provides direct employment possibilities as an elementary school instructional aide/teaching assistant or substitute teacher.
- OPTION: School districts are among the largest employers in NPC’s service area. To help supply the workforce required by the 57 public and Native American school districts, NPC offers an Education Profession Certificate of Proficiency (CP), which can be completed in two semesters. The CP prepares students for the national ParaPro Assessment for individuals working as teaching assistants or serving as substitute teachers.
- Learn about transferring credits from community college to a university at AZtransfer.
- See list of NPC transfer course options.
- For more information about transfer degrees, please contact an NPC Academic Advisor. Also see the current NPC College Catalog and class schedule.
Read about the NAU Teachers Academy scholarship program.
While not required, current CPR/First Aid training is strongly recommended. Classes are available through NPC.
Elementary school teachers and aides work in public, charter and private schools.
Potential Job Titles
Elementary school teacher, teaching assistant, instructional aide, substitute teacher.
The NPC Associate of Arts in Elementary Education degree is a transfer degree. The general education component of the AAEE degree fulfills the Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC-A). When completed, the 35 credits of the AGEC-A will transfer to the three public Arizona state universities as a block that meets all lower division general education requirements. NPC works with all three state universities to promote their "Teacher Academies."
- NAU Teachers Academy - NAU has an extended education classroom on NPC's Show Low campus.
- ASU Teachers Academy
- U of A Teachers Academy
The Education Professions Certificate of Proficiency is a direct-to-work certificate, with some courses applicable to the AAEE or AAEC transfer degrees. See an NPC academic adviser for guidance on selecting courses to best fit your educational and career goals.