Initial salary range of $16.67 to $19.91 per hour depending on education and experience.
Non-exempt, Technical, Level II
Reports to the Manager of Technical Services.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required verification document upon hire.
Valid driver's license.
- Associate’s degree
- Industry standard computer certifications (CompTIA, Microsoft, CISCO, etc.)
- Five years of directly related work experience.
- Experience with Macintosh, Linux, Cisco, interactive whiteboards, video and audio equipment a plus.
- Experience in higher education environment.
- High School Diploma or GED
- One year of closely related work experience
- Experience providing technical support
The technician will be responsible for daily maintenance, support and activities associated with the college technology environment.
- Install computer hardware and software including patches and service pack updates across distributed systems, network equipment, and software using a wide array of software and operating system deployment tools.
- Work with the Support Center to resolve support calls and provide excellent customer service.
- Maintain and repair computer and data communication equipment and software using various remote access and management applications.
- Remotely support faculty, staff, students and administration for NPC equipment and technologies.
- Provide technical assistance to users and staff.
- Troubleshoot, install (pulling network/telephone cable, classroom setup), repair, and test equipment; perform software and hardware updates for all NPC distance learning classrooms.
- Assist in installing and configuring distributed systems and network equipment.
- Perform timely and appropriate data entry, record keeping and correspondence/documentation.
- Resolve support calls/help desk/support tickets and being part of a team that provides consistent and quality customer service for supported NPC Information Services.
- Participate and contribute to cross discipline support for other Information Services departments and specialties.
- Tests and monitors software, hardware, and peripheral equipment to evaluate use, effectiveness, and adequacy of products for users.
- Participate in and/or complete projects as assigned
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate skill and proficiency in the operations of Windows, computer installation, operation and repair.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have ability to:
- Provide excellent customer service
- Work nights and weekends.
- Learn quickly and follow detailed written and verbal instructions.
- Make independent decisions within established guidelines.
- Initiate fault isolation and other problem solving techniques which use “out of box” reasoning.
- Assume responsibility and work independently as well as in teams.
- Document and communicate within all phases of a task or project (both internal to Information Services and with customers).
- Interact and work well under pressure with others, including end users.
- Exercise appropriate privacy and discretion in handling confidential information;
Knowledge of: Previous and current versions of Microsoft and Macintosh desktop operating systems as well as common Microsoft applications; hardware analysis abilities including use of diagnostic software and diagnostic tools/equipment; all of the fundamental computer hardware components including, power supplies, multimedia issues, network interface cards, computer repair including board level hardware installation (motherboards, I/O cards, NIC’s), disk drive replacement, evaluation and diagnosis of keyboard BIOS errors, installation of various memory modules, video cards (AGP, PCI-E) and dissection of associated errors.
Ability to: Organize work; commit to providing excellent customer service; assist users in becoming more proficient with new and existing technology; be professionally accountable; work independently as well as participate on teams effectively; provide the initiative to improve methods and procedures; communicate clearly and efficiently with users by email, phone and in person; develop documentation and other forms of communication effectively with colleagues and customers; install and update computer software; work with networking (domain) models; document and collaborate on procedures as needed; inventory parts and supplies; log, track and report on work requests; understand conceptually how the different components associated with systems and networks interact; follow through with 100% completion of projects/tasks, and support customers (and Help Desk) with long-term, creative solutions.