- Develop and complete a degree plan.
- Express an interest in creating visual artwork.
- Possess competent writing skills.
- Have a G.P.A. of 3.0 or higher.
- Attend NPC full time (12 credit hours per semester) during the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Enroll in at least one (3-credit) art class during the 2020-2021 academic year.
Application material required:
- A completed entry form. Download (Word doc.) Instructions are included with the entry form.
- 3 to 5 examples of your artistic work as digital images on a CD or jump drive. The images should be in jpeg form and sized at 300 dpi at 4"x6" (no larger than 1500 pixels in the longest direction). Label each image with your first initial, last name and image number (example: jsmith1.jpg). Label the CD or jump drive with your name.
- A two-page (1000-word) essay that addresses the applicant's specific interests in art and why he/she believes that art is important in society.
Martia A. Smith was an artist and scholar who served as an instructor and major contributor to NPC's art program. This scholarship honors her memory by awarding a full scholarship to a highly motivated, academic and artistically talented student.
This is a full Northland Pioneer College scholarship for the 2020-2021 school year ($3,000; $1,500 per semester).
Students must attend NPC full-time (12 credit hours per semester) and enroll in at least one (3-credit) art class during the 2020-2021 academic year.
This scholarship is merit-based and financial need is not a requirement. Students need not be art majors to apply.
All Application Materials must be mailed to:
Peterson Yazzie, Faculty
Department of Fine and Performing Arts
Northland Pioneer College:
Painted Desert Campus
P.O. Box 610
Holbrook, AZ 86025
English faculty will evaluate the essay content and two members of the Fine Art faculty will evaluate the artwork. A personal interview may also be used to determine the recipient of the award.
There will be an exhibition of the artwork during the Annual NPC Juried Student Art Show and an artist reception at the Talon Gallery in the Aspen Center on the White Mountain Campus in Show Low, AZ. The Scholarship winner is required to attend this event. Friends and Family members are encouraged to attend!
- Exhibition: April 13 - May 8, 2020
- Artist Reception: Friday, May 8, 2018, 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. - Talon Gallery, NPC White Mountain Campus