About this degree
If you enjoy children, feel you have a talent for teaching and you want to help improve the world, the Associate of Arts in Elementary Education (AAEE) is a degree program you should consider. The AAEE degree is a transfer degree providing you with foundational skills in the elementary teaching field while preparing you for initial teacher certification programs at the state’s three public universities. The general education component of the AAEE degree is specifically designed to fulfill the lower division general education requirements at NAU, ASU and UofA.
Additionally, with your AAEE degree in hand, you meet current elementary school requirements to be a classroom instructional assistant. You have the credentials to work in your chosen setting while completing your bachelor’s degree.
- The Associate of Arts in Elementary Education degree requires a minimum of 64 hours of course credits with a “C” or better in all courses and a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Some courses have placement requirements or prerequisites that may result in coursework beyond 64 credits. These courses, too, require a grade of “C” or better. For information about prerequisites, see an NPC academic adviser.
- In most general education courses, special emphasis is placed on developing written communication skills with intensive writing requirements. Race and ethnic issue awareness is embedded throughout the general education requirements. Specific courses, as noted, meet the requirement for Contemporary Global/International or Historical Awareness.
Completion of the 35 general education course credits fulfills requirements for the Arizona General Education Education Curriculum (AGEC-A).
Click the + to view the course recommendations within that discipline.
You must complete all five courses.
- EDU 200 Introduction to Education • 3 credits
- EDU 220 Diversity in Education • 3 credits
- EDU 222 Introduction to Special Education • 3 credits
- MAT 161 Algebra-based Math for Elementary Teachers I • 3 credits
- MAT 162 Algebra-based Math for Elementary Teachers II • 3 credits
Successful completion of one of the following:
- EDU 272 Educational Psychology • 3 credits
- EDU 276 Managing the Learning Environment • 3 credits
- EDU 291 Children’s Literature • 3 credits
- ENL 291 Children’s Literature • 3 credits
Plus, you must successfully complete all three of the following courses:
- CIS 105 Computer Applications and Information Technology • 3 credits
- POS 221 Arizona Constitution • 1 credit
- POS 222 U.S. Constitution • 1 credit
Plus, successful completion of six credits of unduplicated electives from the General Education Requirements list.
|Academic Advising||Enroll Now|
|Transfer Degrees||Academic Calendar|
|Associate Degrees||Delivery Methods|
|AZ Transfer||SUN System|