Learn or improve your Spanish in a beautiful setting.
Costa Rica is a relatively small country, half the size of the state of Kentucky, with a perfect spring climate – 72 degrees Fahrenheit. If you love nature, Costa Rica is a place where 20 percent of the territory is made up of forest reserves, dozens of national reserves, parks, rain forests, secluded white-sand beaches on two oceans and active volcanoes! The nation is home to nearly a thousand species of birds, hundreds of mammals and more than 10,000 species of plants. The people of Costa Rica are called “Ticos” and are among the most friendly, polite and social people in the world.
TRIP DATES: Tuesday, June 23 through Saturday, July 25, 2020. – A whole month in beautiful Costa Rica! This is the MLSA Summer II trip.
COST: $2,184.00, plus a $100 non-refundable registration fee. Includes room and board along with two meals a day, on-site academic advising, an orientation session and many cultural activities. Airfare is NOT included and must be purchased separately. NPC student scholarships available, see "step 2" below.
- Study abroad in Costa Rica! Earn from 4 - 8 undergraduate, college credits while learning to speak and write Spanish. Students can take courses for credit or non-credit, the cost is the same.
- No prior language experience needed, classes range from beginner to advanced.
- Study from 8 a.m. - 1:20 p.m., Monday through Friday, with two long weekends to explore and have fun.
- This trip is open to the public. You do NOT have to be an NPC student to participate.
- You will need to purchase a textbook for about $20 (not included in trip cost).
- You MUST have a Passport. Students are responsible for obtaining their own passports. To obtain a passport, you can apply at the nearest central post office in your town. It may take from three to five weeks, or even longer, to get one so don't wait! Learn more here.
- For more information about this opportunity and others, visit Modern Language Studies Abroad (MLSA).
It is the participant's responsibility to have ALL travel documentation. No money will be refunded for lack of required documentation.
STEP 1: Apply For Study Abroad Program
- All participants MUST submit a MLSA application form by March 15, 2020 to participate in this year's MLSA Summer II trip. This trip is provided through Modern Language Studies Abroad, not NPC so you must fill out the MLSA application.
- Application to MLSA, an external entity, does NOT imply or include any scholarships from NPC. For NPC student scholarship information, see STEP 2 below.
STEP 2: NPC Students - Apply for a Costa Rica Scholarship!
NPC’s Student Government Association (SGA) is offering four Costa Rica trip scholarships to current NPC students!
- Scholarship #1: One student will receive a full-tuition waiver for $2,184.00 (does NOT include airfare).
- Scholarship #2 & 3: Two students will each receive a $500 scholarship.
- Scholarship #4: One student will receive a $250 scholarship.
Scholarship Application Deadline: Friday, February 14, 2020
To apply you MUST:
- Be a current NPC student
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Be taking at least six credit hours during the Spring 2020 term
- Submit a one-page essay and the scholarship application form by the deadline
How To Apply: Applicants are required to write a two page essay and submit it with the scholarship application form. Your essay must explain: 1. Why the SGA should select you for this scholarship. 2. How this experience will benefit you and why?
Submit Your Essay To: Richard Harris by the application deadline (contact information listed below). No late applications will be accepted.
Note: If you are selected to receive a SGA scholarship, you will be required to write a two-page essay describing your Costa Rica trip experience upon your return and submit it to Richard Harris, Spanish faculty and study abroad coordinator.
For more information contact:
Spanish Faculty & Study Abroad Coordinator
NPC Show Low Campus, Goldwater Center, room 112
(928) 532-6145 | email