Veterans Educational Benefits Eligibility

Grad Cap
Veterans education benefits fall into four categories. Each category, or "chapter" has its own set of eligibility requirements:

Montgomery GI Bill
  1. This program is also known as 'Chapter 30'.
  2. Veteran must have entered active duty on or after July 1,1985.
  3. Veteran must have contributed $100 a month for 12 months and have a honorable discharge.
Vocational Rehabilitation
  1. This program is also known as 'Chapter 31'.
  2. Veteran must have a service connected disability and have applied for vocational rehabilitation services through the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-800-827-1000.
Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program
  1. This program is also known as 'Chapter 35'.
  2. Sons, daughters, spouses, and surviving spouses of veterans who have perished or are totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability arising from active service in the armed forces, or who perished from any cause while such disability was in existence.
  3. The child or spouse of a person who is on active duty as a member of the armed forces and who is for the period of 90 days has been listed by the Department of Defense and concerned as a POW, MIA, or otherwise forcibly detained by a foreign government or power.
Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve
  1. This program is also known as 'Chapter 1606'.
  2. Selected reservist must be enlisted, reenlisted or extend an enlistment obligation in the selected reserves so that the reservist has/had an enlistment obligation to serve for a period of not less than 6 years following the date of such action, and this must be completed on or after July 1, 1985.
  3. Selected reservist has completed the requirements of a secondary school (high school) diploma.
  4. Selected reservist has completed IDAT.
  5. Selected reservist has enlisted, reenlisted or extended an enlistment.